Spring is almost here and that means warmer weather, which in turn means switching out sweaters for some cute arm-baring tanks. To get set for sunnier days, we put together 5 moves to target the arms.
All moves are performed with a high rep count and low to medium weight, e.g. 20-40 reps or until fatigued. Ready, set, go!
1. Alternating Bicep Curls (Targets Biceps)
Grab a pair of 5-15lb dumbbells. Set your feet in a split stance position for more body control.
- Keep your arms straight in front of your body, hands resting on thighs, palms facing up.
- As one arm curls up to towards the shoulder, the other arm recovers straight down back to the thigh.
- Lock your elbows into your rib cage to prevent the upper body from swinging.
2. Lateral Curls (Targets Biceps, Triceps, Shoulders)
- Use a pair of 3-10lb dumbbells. Set your feet in a split stance position for more body control.
- Raise your arms laterally to shoulder height and hold with palms facing up. Bend at elbow and curl the dumbbell towards your shoulder, then recover back out to a lateral raise.
- This can be performed with both arms at once or by alternating right to left.
3. Arnold Press (Targets Shoulders)
- With a pair of 8-20lb dumbbells, set your feet in a split stance position or hold a lunge.
- Begin with dumbbell curls into your collarbone, palms facing in.
- Press your arms straight above your shoulders while rotating palms forward.
- Recover back down to the collar bone as your palms rotate back in.
4. Triceps Dips (Targets Triceps, Shoulders)
- Find a 2-3 foot box, some stairs, a park bench or even a chair and you can sculpt your arms and shoulders.
- Sit on the bench and place your hands right outside hip width with your fingers pointed towards your body.
- Remove your hips from the bench and straighten your legs.
- Bend at the elbow and slide back down the bench, press through your palms and lock out elbows.
5. Triceps Kickbacks (Targets Triceps)
- Grab a pair of 5lb-15lb dumbbells. Set your feet under your hips with a slight bend in the knees.
- Hinge from your hips and tilt chest over thighs.
- Bring the dumbbells up to your ribs, elbows bent and pointed straight up to the ceiling. Straighten your arm backwards, creating a straight line from shoulder to hand and recover dumbbells back into your ribs.
- This can be performed with both arms at once or alternating right to left.