In order to keep you healthy, your blood pH needs to maintain an alkaline level. You can maintain alkaline pH level by eating food which form acids and more alkaline forming
The first thing that you need to know while going on diet are the foods which are alkaline. You can eat the alkaline foods without worrying about the acidic effects. Here’s a list of 15 superb alkaline foods which you should include in your diet.
- Asparagus: Asparagus is one of the strongest alkaline foods. Apart from being one of the best alkaline foods, asparagus contains a lot of nutrients and antioxidants. Asparagus is also known for its amazing anti-aging benefits and detoxifying qualities.
- Almonds and almond milk: Almonds are quite tasty and make a great snack. They are an alkaline food and are found on almost any list of the healthiest foods. They provide energy, increase muscle gain and lower cholesterol levels.
- Broccoli: Rich in vitamin C broccoli is an excellent vegetable. It should be a part of your weekly diet. Eating broccoli 3, 4 times a week will help you stay fresh and healthy.
- Cucumber: Cucumber is a great vegetable to keep yourself hydrated. It contains a huge amount of water and is an alkaline vegetable. It is better to eat cucumber with peel on. You can make a great presentation by taking off strips of cucumber peel. It will not only leave some of the healthy peel on but will also look good.
- Ginger: The health benefits of this amazing root are well known. It is a super food and has detoxifying properties. Ginger should be a regular ingredient in you recipes. It will help you stay alkaline.
- Grapefruit: One of the healthiest food found on earth, grapefruit is a great alkaline food. It boosts your metabolism and helps in weight loss. It has a bit sour taste and a low sugar count.
- Herbal Teas: In order to stay alkaline it is suggested to avoid regular tea and go herbal. Coffee and black tea have acidic effects on your body. Green tea is also acidic, however it contains many antioxidants. You should go for the herbal varieties such as ginger tea.
- Lemon: Because of lemons sour and acidic taste many people believe that it is an acid forming food. The truth is opposite, lemon has an alkaline effect on your body. It also helps cleanse your digestive system. Lemon is a great source of vitamin c and should be a regular item in your diet.
- Lettuce: Although Lettuce has low nutritional value, it is an alkaline food. Some types of lettuce have more nutritional value than others but all types have phytonutrients in them which help your body to stay on the alkaline side.
- Mint: Fresh mint not only gives a distinctive flavor to your recipes but also has great nutritional benefits and to seal the deal it is a great alkaline food. Adding a couple of mint leafs to a smoothie will give a fresh taste and a fantastic aroma.
- Olive Oil: Olive oil has so many health benefits that it is a must have in your kitchen. It also has alkaline effect on your body. It can be used in many ways. How about drizzling a little olive oil on top of your fresh salad made from alkaline vegetables. Now that would be a healthy alkaline meal.
- Pomegranate: Pomegranate juice is delicious and is also alkaline. Pomegranate contains a huge amount of potassium and is also a great source of vitamin C. Make sure not to add any sugar or mix with high sugar fruit juices when you are making a pomegranate drink.
- Spinach: This legendary vegetable is a great powerhouse. Spinach has amazing health benefits, it is alkaline and makes you strong. It is rich in Vitamin A. You can make great salads with baby spinach.
- Thyme: Used in many cultures as the main spice, thyme has many benefits. It not only adds flavor to your recipes but is also beneficial for your respiratory system. This small herb has many antioxidants and nutrients in it.
- Tomato: Tomato contains a huge amount of lycopene and antioxidants. It is a great alkaline food which is beneficial for your heart and has a positive effect on your health.
- Amaranth: Cultivated as a grain since 8,000 years, Amaranth is a good alkaline food. It has a lot of essential minerals and vitamins.
- Artichokes: Artichokes are available throughout the year. They can be eaten in a number of ways. They are famously used as salad toppings and as dips. They contain antioxidants which helps in digestion and also makes your liver stronger.
- Arugula: This alkaline forming leafy green is often a part of detox diet plans. It contains high amount of calcium and is also abundant in Vitamin A.
- Avocado and Avocado Oil: Avocado is a super food. It is full of nutrients and has great alkaline effects on body. They are high in potassium and a great source of energy. Being alkaline forming, avocado oil should be proffered on oils which are acid forming.
- Basil: Herbs and spices that we use in our recipes have a great effect on the overall meal being acidic or alkaline for our body. Basil is one of the spices which has alkaline effects on body.
- Beetroot: Beetroot being an alkaline food and having numerous health benefits should be a regular food in your diet plan. Some of the health benefits include, low blood pressure, increased blood flow and increased stamina.
- Brussels sprouts: Brussels sprouts are packed with minerals, fiber and vitamins. They help to keep the pH level of your body alkaline. Brussels sprouts are also linked with improving bone health, managing diabetes and fighting cancer.
- Buckwheat: Buckwheat is a popular healthy food. Contrary to its name it doesn’t have wheat in it. Its gluten free and is alkaline forming. It is a great source of protein and also contains a good amount of iron. You can find a variety of recopies to enjoy this alkaline food.
- Cabbage: Cabbage is a vegetable which is quite easy to cook and goes well with many salads and other food items. Cabbage has low calories and is a great source of fiber and is also an alkaline food. It is also helpful in preventing some types of cancers
- Carrot: Carrots are tasty, raw or cooked. They are not only a great alkaline food but are also great for your eyes. They have a lot of fibers and vitamins in them.
- Cauliflower: Cauliflower has many same benefits as broccoli and Brussels sprouts. It is also an alkaline food, having a lot of fiber and a good amount of vitamin C.
- Celery: Celery is low in calories. It has a number of health benefits which include, regulating alkaline balance of your body, lowers blood pressure, reduces bad cholesterol and helps in digestion.
- Chives: This grass like herb has a mild onion flavor and it adds great flavor to food. Being an alkaline forming food which add great flavor, it should definitely find a way to your kitchen.
- Cilantro: Cilantro is an herb with delicate green leaves. It has pungent flavor and adds a great taste to your recipes. Cilantro is not only alkaline forming, it is also helpful for controlling cholesterol and for anemia patients.
- Coconut: Coconut and coconut milk are quite famous for the health benefits they provide. You should try to use fresh coconut instead of packaged coconut. If fresh coconut is not available, coconut oil should be included in diet.
If you have been through above mentioned amazing foods then you should also checkout list of foods that are mentioned below. These have supplements that will reduce health risk and increase chance of being health. These foods are all alkaline that are good for your metabolism.
List of other Foods with Alkaline
2. Collard Greens
7. Flax Oil & Flax Seeds
9. Gluten Free Breads
10. Goat’s Milk
11. Green Beans
14. Khorasan Wheat
17. Lima Beans
20. Mung Beans
21. Mustard Greens
22. Navy Beans
23. New Potatoes
29. Pumpkin & Pumpkin Seeds
32. Red Beans
34. Sesame Seeds
38. Sunflower Seeds
39. Sweet Potato
40. Swiss chard
All of these vary in proteins, vitamins, and iron. You can eat these without having to worry about whether there will be any effect on your health. Checkout more detail about alkaline and its FAQS.
Alkaline Foods and Acid Reflux
You should know that there is a direct connection between alkaline and stomach acid. Alkaline food prevent from acid reflux, if you have health problem related to reflux then above mentioned foods will help cure.
What does Alkaline Foods means?
This means, food that you are going to eat will not be alkaline in nature. When they go inside your body and mix with acids inside, they will become alkaline.
What they Do?
They bring pH level to a point where your body becomes healthy. They also have ability to neutralize acids that cause inflammation. Alkaline food have many benefits, they can be good for cancer, prevent heart problems, and reduce inflammation.
What are the other Qualities of Alkaline foods?
- They help you with weight loss and reduce health risks
- You may want to know what happens when you cook alkaline food. You can cook alkaline foods without having acid effect. But if you will steam or bake alkaline food then it will be much better for your health.
- They can help with your acne problem. When we eat junk food, they cause acnes and various problem so if you want to get rid of these then use alkaline foods.
They can prevent allergic reactions. They also help cure any major allergy you have. Diabetes and various other disease can also be cured with the help of alkaline foods.